Sunday, December 25, 2011

Serendipity

Every Christmas, I look forward to Serendipity being on tv. This is my one sappy-love story-chick flick-guilty pleasure movie and I watch it every single year. The idea that two people are brought together years after meeting by some devine circumstance is intriguing to me.

As much as I deny it to the world, and even to myself, I am really a hopeless (hapless?) romantic and I want some sort of fairy-tale story to tell my kids and grandkids. I have been single now for a really long time and I think that's why. I didn't want to settle for anything less than a Hollywood style romance.

I recently came to realize that serendipity, or fate, or whatever you want to call it does not have to involve a chance run-in with someone from your past.  In fact, that ideal almost never works. There's usually a reason someone is part of your past. It was a long and bumpy road for me to get to where I am right now. To pull someone from a previous chapter would almost be denying the fact that I have grown by leaps and bounds over the last few years.

I have decided that my new personal definition of serendipity is two complete strangers meeting due to a completely random set of circumstances. Whether its while traveling and meeting someone, or meeting a person who is new to your area and finding out they quite possibly could be what you have been searching for all along. Serendipity.

Oh, and by the way...I have a new boyfriend ;-)

1 comment: